How to weave a new creative project into a career already in motion.
The Doug Neill Show: Episode #16
Recorded on April 9th, 2019
You can browse all episodes here.
The Two Scenarios
0:34 – 3:16
A bit of context-setting to describe a few different situations that you might find yourself in right now.
- Scenario #1: day job and building a creative career on the side.
- Scenario #2: already engaged in a creative career you enjoy, but still feel a side project calling out to you.
- I’m in the second one, with Verbal To Visual (and this podcast!) as the core of my creative career that I want to keep in place.
The Long-Term Vision
3:16 – 8:53
Zooming out to look at the long-term vision that you have for the new layer you’d like to add to your creative career.
- The skill at the core of my new layer: writing. I’ll probably be making that more of a focus in new sketchnotes that I share, like these of Neil Gaiman’s conversation with Tim Ferriss.
- What I’m creating: essays. I enjoy the style I’ve been reading in the book Essays of E.B. White, and will likely emulate it.
- What I’m building up to: publishing a book of collected essays.
The Short-Term Plan
8:53 – 15:35
Zooming in as you make some short-term plans that will help you weave into your days the work on this new layer.
- This back-and-forth of zooming out and zooming in is a part of my daily journaling process as well.
- My weekday approach: one short writing session at the end of the day. Back when my day job was substitute teaching I put the new layer early each morning – an hour of work building my sketchnoting skills, which I documented over at The Graphic Recorder.
- My weekend approach: optional writing sessions as opportunities present themselves.
- The tool that’s helping me to write more often: Scrivener. I even do some writing while walking (safely, I assure you), tapping into some of nature’s creative fuel.
Visual Templates for Creative Business-Builders
Want a bit of extra support as you take action on the ideas from this podcast and build your own creative career?
Get a sketchnote summary and visual template for each episode by
becoming a supporter on Patreon.
Thanks for listening, and talk with you again next week!